Happy Amazon Prime Day. Lots of discounts on many items, so I figured I'll give you a stackable deal if you want to make a purchase while there's still time. Fair warning, this will overwhelm you - it is advanced level stuff.
Note: you need an Amex that earns Membership Rewards points (Platinum, Gold, Blue Biz Plus, etc.) to make this work.
1) Go to your Amex Offers. If you have the Amazon 3x points offer, activate it. If you don't have the offer, no worries. You can still participate in this offer.
2) Go to Amazon and load up your cart with an item sold by Amazon.com (You can see this info on the product detail page. Products sold by third parties that are fulfilled by Amazon won't work). For purposes of this demonstration, let's say you want to buy Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Canceling Headphones for Apple devices: LINK
It's normally $299 but currently on sale for $125.
3) Add an Amazon Gift Card to get the amount (using the original product price, not the Prime Deal price) up to $500 total. So, for these $299 headphones, you'll add a $201 gift card: LINK
4) No go to the payment page. If you haven't already done so, link the Amex card that has the 3x Amex Offer on it. Then, it will give you an option to pay with your Amex points. After today, PLEASE never pay with Amex points. But for this occasion, you are going to put in that you want to pay just $0.01 of your purchase with points (it'll deduct a single point, and the rest you can use the credit card).
5) Now enter coupon code: AMEXSWP20PD. This will give you 20% off of your entire order up to $500 (which is why you added that Amazon Gift Card)
Your total cost:
For this purchase, you'd spend $260 and receive:
- $201 Amazon gift card
- a pair of headphones that retails for $299
- and you'd earn 3x points (780 total, which I value at $19.50)
In other words, you just bought $299 headphones for $39.50
This works with all sorts of items. A savvy EGTer just used this trick to purchase an Amazon Echo Show & a smart plug for $70.44. That’s $195 savings!
There are a couple other steps you could take to shave off a few more percentage points, but I think this is good enough for now. Good luck! Send me success stories.
I told you your head was going to spin.